2



3 Simple Ways To Prevent Your Online Accounts From Getting Hacked

Hackers are like Robbers in real life - Source: Flickr
Just last 2 nights ago, all my blogger blogs got lost - somehow deleted from the system.. only to find out that my Google Account was suspended due to some suspicious activities... my Google Account got Hacked.

That kind of hacking was not a normal hacking wherein the hacker knows my Password -- that's impossible. I believe it was a more sophisticated kind of hacking -- without the need to know for my passwords -- I believe what hacked it, was some SPYWARE.

According to Wikipedia,
a Spyware is a type of malware that is installed on computers and collects little bits of information at a time about users without their knowledge. The presence of spyware is typically hidden from the user, and can be difficult to detect.
So it's really not impossible that computers right now are having spywares. I've seen many Google accounts if my friends being hacked too and this is becoming more dangerous especially if you do some online purchases with your Credit Cards. Also, If you have blogs and websites that serves as your Online Business, it's best to take care of it by doing some preventive measures so it won't be hacked by the bad guys.

So here's 3 simple and easy way to prevent your online accounts from getting hacked

1. Download and Install SPYBOT SEARCH AND DESTROY



Spybot - Search & Destroy detects and removes spyware, a relatively new kind of threat not yet covered by common anti-virus applications. Spyware silently tracks your surfing behaviour to create a marketing profile for you that is transmitted without your knowledge to the compilers and sold to advertising companies. Spybot-S&D is free, so there's no harm giving it a try to see if something has invaded your computer.

My only mistake was that, I just installed this on my computer -- after only I was hacked! Ouch! This is a very good Free software which also IMMUNIZES your browsers from Spywares.

Download Spybot Search and Destroy Here.

2. Have a password that uses a combination of characters - no need to explain this I think. :D

3. Be careful of Phishing emails!

There are some phishing emails that pretend to come from certain websites like Google and Yahoo! that will say that "If you don't change your passwords right now, your account will be deleted" and they will ask you to visit a link where you can change your password or email them your password. BE CAREFUL with this! Don't give out your passwords to just anyone. Verify first the email address of the sender or better yet, report them as spam or delete them immediately. Be on the lookout for such emails. Remember not to answer such emails as much as possible.

So if you're running an online business, there's no doubt you'll also need to protect them from these "Online Robbers" and feel safe making money online. :)

2 Comments to “3 Simple Ways To Prevent Your Online Accounts From Getting Hacked”

  • elvinperia   August 22, 2010 at 7:59 AM

    Hi Janmck, thank you for this information.

    Actually, last month i received email notification from yahoo telling that my account should be verified. I need to email them my email address as well as my password for them to verify my account otherwise, they'll suspend it. The email contains yahoo logo and a yahoo admin-like email address as well. At first glance you'll find it a legit email. But it is not.

    To make sure, check your full message headers (in yahoo it's in actions>>view full header in gmail click on show details). Then look for reply-to portion. It should be the same as the email address used by the sender. Otherwise it is not legitimate.

    I suspect that this happens to yahoo/gmail users as well.. Don't give your info.

  • Jan Hilado   August 23, 2010 at 12:19 AM

    @Elvin
    thanks for sharing that valuable information kuya! I will add that to my article. :D

Post comment

Your thoughts and comments are highly appreciated! Care to leave some.. :) And if you comment "Anonymously" and expect to get a reply, please include your email address on your comment. :)