2



Self-Education: Formal Education Is Just Not Enough

My BMW. What's Yours?
This article is actually my 2nd Basic Speech for Queen City Toastmasters.

I Have Never Let Schooling Interfere With My Education ~ Mark Twain

It's very much possible to educate yourself without the help of an authority. In fact, when we learn the art of self-education, we will find, if not create, opportunities to find success beyond our wildest dreams!
Self-educated people are not dependent on others for knowledge. If they need a specialized skill, they know how to acquire without being commanded. Unlike in our school system today, we are being commanded to learn all sorts of things we don't actually need or are not suited for our unique skills and passion. Each of us has our own unique skills passion and it's up to us how to develop these with the help of self-education.

Even when I still had formal education, I already started arming myself with the things I need to learn through self-education. And a year ago, I decided to stop my formal education, to focus on self-education. But still, I have achieved so much that a lot of people ask me, "How Did You Do It Jan?". And every time, my answers are all the same, So I want to share it with you too..

Are you ready?

I have this 3 steps I'm using with success to educate myself.. All you have to do is Remember this 3 Letters.. Or you can write it down if you like.. So the 3 letters are..

B -- M -- W

Let's begin with the Letter B. B stands for BOOKS. Most of us, love reading books, but does the books you're reading right now add value to your life? When I was still in Elementary, I was able to read this one book that changed my life forever. It was Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. Since then I continued reading a lot of Personal, Financial, and Spiritual Development from successful Authors. Even the other super-successful ultra-millionaire people I personally know still continue educating themselves by reading books that add value and knowledge to their lives.

The more great books you read, the more you'll have a great attitude, great mindset and outlook in life. And the more you will be directed to the second step, the Letter M, which stands for MENTORS. Most authors of the Great Books I've read are Mentors in their own ways. Since they're not physically there, I call them my "Imaginary Mentors". I Follow their ways and attend their seminars if they have one. And because of that, I was able to attract people with the same mindset I have and people who are more successful than I am, and some of them became my mentors.. "physically".

Now I want to share with you a very short story that happened just last night. Are you okay with that? While I was at Fullybooked in Ayala last night, I met this guy, who surprisingly, has the same mindset I have. In just 10 minutes of talk, we were able to share and discuss a lot of ideas and opportunities and introduced each other to new POTENTIAL MENTORS, and hopefully, do business together! 10 mins of talk? And a possible joint venture business was formed? Wow! And all that connection was made possible because of the COMMON BOOKS we’ve read and browsed through in the Bookstore! It was like magic how I attracted that guy. I must be so ATTRACTIVE! :D

So take time to look for people who are more successful than you are, and follow them. Mentors have gone through series of failures already that you don't have to go through over again by learning from them.

But even though you already got enough books to read, and mentors to follow, it wouldn’t be enough if you don't APPLY what they're teaching, which leads us to our 3rd and most important Step of Self-Education, the W, or WORK ON IT! To do this 3rd Step, the WORK-ON-IT, I always remember that I take 100% Responsibility of my life, and that only I can do it for myself. My 3 STEP Self-Education process is really that SIMPLE! But mind you, it's not easy. :) You have to WORK ON IT!

Now let's review those 3 Steps I Follow for Self-Education. What's the 3 letter word to remember again? BMW. B For Books. Start reading books that add value and knowledge to your life. 2nd, M is for Mentors. Mentors are everywhere and will start coming once you have changed your mindset and attitude for the better. Surely enough, the teacher comes when the student is ready. And the 3rd and most important letter is the "W", which is, WORK ON IT! Again? WORK ON IT! Again? WORK ON IT! Before I end this talk, I want to leave you with a famous quote by one of my Imaginary Mentors, Jim Rohn. "Formal education will make you a living; self-education will make you a fortune.”

Thank you and God Bless you all!

If you want to listen to the Podcast of my actual speech, just click on the PLAY button below:





2 Comments to “Self-Education: Formal Education Is Just Not Enough”

  • Danilo Cabahug   May 17, 2010 at 9:39 PM

    Hi Jan,
    Very good work. I'm impressed! Indeed, in Toastmasters, we learn by doing. Your speech made me dream two BMW's in my car port.

  • Jan Hilado   May 18, 2010 at 1:05 AM

    @Danilo
    Hi kuya! thanks for the very nice comment! Will do it much much better the next time! hehehe!

Post comment

Your thoughts and comments are highly appreciated! Care to leave some.. :) And if you comment "Anonymously" and expect to get a reply, please include your email address on your comment. :)