6



It's Not About You, It's About Them - Marketing Lessons

All Marketers Are LiarsHere's another Marketing Lesson I want to share with you that I've always read from Seth Godin's Marketing Books. This lesson is a must-know for all Marketers both Offline and Online and to those who are in the Sales Field. Ignore this lesson and you will not only lose some potential clients, you're gonna lose a lot of sales too! :) So Let me share with you my experience on this Marketing Lesson I've learned.

My family and I have just been to a Business Opportunity Meeting of a well known Network Marketing Company selling Health products. After the seminar, I was already pretty much convinced of the Company Profile, the products and their Marketing Plan, since the company has been in the business for more than 10 years already.

But then, a guy came to us, asked our names and said that he's the up-line of the one who invited us (meaning, he's much more experienced with this business than the one who invited us). He said he's been with the business for 12 years already and been making some good residual income, and been explaining to us a lot of stuffs about business, how good it is to have your own business, some tips for business, health, how important to have it and blah blah blah. He just talked about everything without even knowing us first and what we do or what are we into now, not knowing we were also Entrepreneurs. He just kept on selling us with his "BRAGS" until I finally ignored him and started talking to my Dad who's also "already" ignoring him (I know my Dad!) to make him feel that we're not interested with him.

After that talk, we went to dinner and discussed what happened until I told my family that because of that talk with the "humble" guy, I learned a lot of lessons that I have always read from Seth Godin but haven't experienced it until now. And yes, my Dad agreed very much with me!

The Lesson?

"It's not about you, It's about them". From Seth Godin's book, All Marketers Are Liars, he explained that ALL consumers don't care about you, you're company or your products. They only care about themselves and what benefits they can get from choosing your Company, your Products and Services. So don't try to sell your company, services and products to your customers and clients, instead, ask what you can do to your customers so they can have a wonderful service from your company, sell them the benefits they can get from choosing your products.

Another lesson is, know you're customers/clients first before introducing yourself and you're products. Ask everything you should know about them, since ALL of us want to share about ourselves to others and what we do, so it won't be that hard. As a Marketer, Just control yourself a bit from talking about yourself first. "It's not about you, It's about them". If you've known enough, then you already know where to position your sales pitch. You would know that you're talking to an employee or to an entrepreneur then you can start telling them your stories (sales pitches).

The last lesson I want to share with you today is, "Less Talk, Less Mistakes". As that "humble" guy (yes I'm lying ^^) kept talking about he's successes and his business principles, my Business Partner also kept asking some STRIKING questions that led to many INCONSISTENT answers. The result is, your stories become UNAUTHENTIC. And consumers hate UNAUTHENTIC answers and won't trust you the next time around.

As a client/potential customer to that Network Marketing Company, I was already convinced with what they are offering and was ready to sign up, but then, because of the "humble" guy who has talking about himself and himself alone, instead of asking us what he can do to help us, I got discouraged to join the business. He lost a potential customer, and he lost a sale, lots of sale!

So when you're selling something, remember that your clients don't care about you. They just care about themselves. Tell Authentic stories. All marketers are storytellers, only the losers are liars. :)

For more Marketing ideas, I suggest you Order Seth Godin's All Marketers Are Liars Book from Amazon by Clicking Here. :)

6 Comments to “It's Not About You, It's About Them - Marketing Lessons”

  • Buen   March 24, 2010 at 9:17 PM

    Hi Janmck,

    I had fun reading this one... and I very much agree.. =)

    Keep up the very interesting articles...

    Best Regards,
    Buen
    www.buenclicks.info

  • Edel Ramilo   March 25, 2010 at 1:34 AM

    JanMc, I like this article very much! Thanks for sharing this to us. I've had similar experiences before and I felt exactly the way you felt. Kakainis.

    I just hope I can become a better marketer now and in the years to come. Para maiba naman. :D

  • Jan Hilado   March 25, 2010 at 3:17 AM

    @Edel
    Thanks very much for liking my article ate Edel! Yes, let us become a world-class marketers! hehe! :)

  • aldin   March 25, 2010 at 8:57 PM

    Hello JanMck, your article is absolutely interesting for us especially to newbies like me. And also this article is an eye opener. I never realized that until I've read this page... brionil

  • Jan Hilado   March 25, 2010 at 10:15 PM

    @Aldin
    thanks for that comment tita! I really love sharing this insights to everyone especially who are into the Internet Marketing field. :)

  • Unknown   April 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM

    Hey there! Just wanted to say that this is one well written article! Thanks for posting this. I was looking for a site that has this kind of info and I'm glad I stumbled upon this one. Gotta love the affiliate marketing business :D Keep up the great articles.

    ------
    http://www.themarketingthief.com/jv465103.php

Post comment

Your thoughts and comments are highly appreciated! Care to leave some.. :) And if you comment "Anonymously" and expect to get a reply, please include your email address on your comment. :)